Friday, October 2, 2015

Ten Three Labs Salve Sticks

For years and years and years Carmex was my favorite lip balm.  Carmex was my Bae.  My HG, My OTBalm, if you will.  Our love affair was long and storied, yet I dumped it like a bad habit after the first time I tried Ten Three Labs Salve Sticks.  


My OT3


At this point, I've gone through something like eight tubes since Cara opened her shop last year.  I think that I only lost one, and ended up giving one away because it smelled awful (pro tip: The warning that the scents that go into the Mystery Machine pack can be extremely odd and random is not there to be cute).  At first I thought I was just going to review my latest salve packs, but then I thought, fuck it.  The only one I've ever written up was The Bubbler; I ought to do all the other ones I've gotten since then.





The Mystery Pack 

I like to live dangerously.  That's why I picked up the first iteration of the Mystery Pack when it came out this Winter.  I ended up liking two out of three.  Meatloaf would be proud.

1.1 

Honey Peach 

This one was my absolute favorite.  It smelled like peaches baked with cinnamon.  I think it only took me a month to use this one up.  

1.2 

Grape Pickle

No me gusta.  Ugh.  When I found out it was Grape Pickles it made so much sense.  What I smelled was Halloween In Spencer's Gifts: you know how you walk into a party store this time of year and there's the big Halloween Display with the latex masks?  Well that smell makes me nauseous to the point where I start dry heaving.  And that's what I got when I tried this one.   Scent's a funny thing though.  I offered this one to my mom and she totally dug it.  

1.3 

Cherry Cola

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what this one was supposed to smell like.  I just knew it was nice and I liked it.  It smelled vaguely fruity, but I couldn't put my finger on what kind of fruit.  It wasn't until I found out that it was Cherry Cola that it clicked in my brain.  I hope that Cara adds it to the permanent line up and I'm going to keep saying that every time I talk about it until she does.


Ghost Chef

Mocha Latte

This one came in the second Phantasmagoria box that the Labs released.  I never got around to reviewing it because I'm bad and I should feel bad.  Also because I have turned into a dragon who hoards eyeshadows instead of wearing them.   I don't get a lot of mocha, just a pleasant coffee scent.  I did have problems with this one going grainy after a month or so.  I wasn't enough to put me off using it.  The problem went away the day I stuck it in my bra to soften it and then forgot about it until I went to get undressed for bed that night.


Hani Hani 

Honey Peach

When I saw this one, I threw it in my cart and asked Cara in the notes if it was the same as the Mystery Machine scent.  It was!  Now that I have it, I think it's slightly different than I remember  MM 1.1 being.  Mainly, I don't remember it tasting this good.  I have to stop myself from licking it off my lips as soon as I put it on.  I also smell more of the honey and less cinnamon.  This one is also a bit slicker than any of the rest of the Salve Sticks: I'm guessing it's the amount (or type) of flavor oil that goes into it's formula.  Hani Hani is still my favorite out of all the Salve Sticks I've tried and I'm so glad it made it to the permanent collection.


Originally, the Salve Sticks were formulated with Peppermint Oil.  I personally loved it, but after getting customer feedback, Cara decided to reformulate the regular Salve Sticks and only include Peppermint Oil in the actual Peppermint flavored scents.  After reading the reformulated descriptions I decided to pick up the two mildest ones and see if they were as minty as the Bubbler had been.

Peppermint Pinch 

very light peppermint

Mmmmm.  Minty fresh!   I get a nice little tingle from using this one.  I did find that after going so long without a menthol balm, it dried my lips out at first.   Still, I keep this one in my bathroom and use it after I brush my teeth for extra minty freshness in the mornings.


Peppermint Punch

extra-strength peppermint

Holy shit.  This feels like being smacked in the mouth with a peppermint stick.  Or maybe it's like being hit with an arrow from a +5 Icy Burst Bow.  I like it, but I'm glad that I stopped here.  I can only imagine that Peppermint Monster (super-strength peppermint) summons a Minty Abomination to kick you in the teeth and Peppermint Void (insane-strength peppermint) opens a portal to a Minty Hell Dimension, where your soul will be tormented by Peppermint Demons for all eternity.



~M.

P.S.  Ten Three Labs is celebrating their one year anniversary.  Now until 10/7 get 21% off any purchase of $5 or more with code 1962.

No comments:

Post a Comment