Thursday, October 8, 2015

Smelly Yeti Hellmouth Part 2 & Assorted Fallish Smelling Scents

Autumnal probably would have been a better descriptor, but we're doing Buffy scents and so I will use the Buffy Speak to describe all the things.  Plus, making up words is fun.



Pretty samples all in a row


Last month, I added this in to the Group Order where I picked up my Future Primitive goodies.  This time around, I opted for another five pack sampler of Gosh, Glorious, Inferno, Proserpine, Veronica, and received Dame It as my free sample.  




Dame it


Life goals: Live long enough to give as few fucks as the Dowager Countess


Bulgarian rose, violet, lily of the valley, and a bouquet of delicate florals, peppered with hints of lime, Bartlett pear, and bergamot. The ultimate in classic perfuming. Looking at the notes, you might think that it sounds like a gross old lady perfume. But don't be fooled, we here at Smelly Yeti are too classy for that. Feminine.

In the bottle: Mm rose.

On my skin: Uh YES. ROSE. Then I catch what smells like cut stems, pear, lime, and I think violet? This is a gorgeous blend with a moderate throw. Dry, I get more of the pear and the lime blending up with the rose. The fact that this was my free sample takes a little of the sting out of it, but still I'm sad that this only lasts at most an hour and a half on me. 



Glorious


Priorities.

Champagne, straight from the bottle. Actually, better make that two bottles. Maybe three. But drinking isn't great on an empty stomach. Snap your fingers and a demon minion brings a bowl of berries, drizzled with cream, garnished with kumquat. A little excessive? Maybe, but why not? You are a hell goddess after all.

In the bottle: fizzy citrus, like a mimosa

On my skin: Glory is probably my favorite Big Bad.  She's just fabulous and beautiful and so entertaining what with her being bat shit insane.  ...Kind of like Dru.  Huh.  TIL I have a type and I'm a little concerned about what that says about me.  Whatever.  Back to Her Splendiferousness.  Her scent is a recreation of this scene and it's  spot on, in my humble opinion: I get juicy fizzy citrus with a little musk under it that makes it very grown up. Dry, the juiciness is gone and the citrus blends with the musk to give this gorgeous sophisticated scent that would work for any occasion. I loved this, so of course it only lasted about an hour and a half.  It's so unfair.  




Gosh 


Look up Affably Evil and you'll find his picture.  Seriously.

Ascending into a demon requires a lot of energy, or at least a cup of coffee in the morning am I right? And maybe a few of those butterscotch candies. Mmm, mm!


In the bottle: Mmm, coffee... with hazelnut creamer.

On my skin: If Glory is my favorite Big Bad, then Mayor Richard Wilkins III is a close second. He's evil, but he's just so relatable. All he wants is the best for his little girl, Faith, to keep Sunnydale running smoothly (per his deal with the Forces of Darkness), and to be a giant snake demon. Y'know, the simple things in life. His scent captures the simple things too: I know it's supposed to be butterscotch in here, but my nose definitely thinks I'm smelling coffee with hazelnut creamer. The throw is pretty faint and clings close to the skin. After an hour, it’s all butterscotch candies. This lasted a little over three hours and lingered for an additional hour.  Finalmente!  One that my skin doesn't burn through! 


Inferno


Well, looks like things didn't end up quite how you planned.

Was drinking the absinthe from that crazy hermit really worth it?

Catholic guilt washes over you, and as you close your eyes you can almost smell incense swirling, taste that communion wine, feel the light as it fractures through stained glass panels, hear the holy Latin on the priest's lips and the creaking of the pews...You breathe deep, cough, and open your eyes.

Everything's on fire, as always. Oh look, a disembodied head is just rolling around. At least you've got this weird egg tree to live in. From the rough stones, there's movement. A head pops up, and advances. Not just a head this time, this one has a body. The demon waddles over to you. "Want some cursed gold?" He has a wheel instead of legs and approximately seven spears stabbed through him at various angles. 

You consider it for a moment. "Nah."

In the bottle: incense… and slightly fruity? But there’s no fruit in the notes!?!

On my skin: Maybe the fruit I was smelling was the absinthe? Because my first sniff is absinthe and wood. I may have to reevaluate my feelings on licorice like scents because this is really good. Once it starts to dry, I start to get a cinnamon/spicy note and it morphs into a smokey absinthe tinged incense.  After about forty five minutes it starts to go cool, slightly woody, and pleasantly musty. I think this is the pews and rough stone of it all. I must have missed the Everything Is On Fire stage, because the next sniff at about an hour in it smells like a cave: dank and dark and a little musty still. I’ve worn this one a few times, but I only get around two hours out of it, which is a bummer.


The weirdest part of this was, around the Dank Cave Stage, I asked my husband's opinion.  I expected him to hate it (he doesn't like incense)  but he said it was "really feminine."  Uh... Ok?




Proserpine

Dark and deep pomegranate mingles with cool and twisty caverns; a hint of gloomy underworld grounds and balances this scent.

In the bottle: Fruit juice of indeterminate origin.

On my skin: The first time I wore this, I was disappointed when all I got was mixed berry fruit juice. I decided to let it settle a few days and try again before writing it off, and I'm glad I did: now I smell Pomegranate juice against an earthy and incense base. Yeah, this is a keeper. I feel like a fall morning.  Bonus, I didn't burn through this one.  *happy dance*


Veronica


Veronica's My New BFF In My Head

Veronica. Yup, she's a marshmallow. A big, sugared pink marshmallow, with just a hint of blood...orange, that is.

In the bottle: Marshmallow! with orange!

On my skin: I can't remember why I never watched this show, but after seeing this gif, I need to rectify that.  This scent I picked up basically on the strength of the adorable description.  Damn, that was a good call.  It smells like marshmallow cookies with orange frosting.  Yum.  This has very good throw... which is kind of bad (but not really) because it made me hungry. After an hour, I could smell something like myrrh maybe, but very very faint.  Of course this only lasted about an hour and a half because my skin hates me and doesn't want me to be happy.




Dammit.  I loved all of these, but with the exception of Gosh and Proserpine, none lasted longer than two hours.  It's so unfair.  




~M.

No comments:

Post a Comment