Thursday, October 8, 2015

Future Primitive Soap Co.




I can't remember when I first heard about Future Primitive.  Most likely, it was as a listing in a swap thread.  I was intrigued, but the problem is Future Primitive is U.K. based.  Shipping can be a deal breaker for me with US companies;  Now add to that the cost of shipping a bunch of big bath and body care bottles across the Atlantic and you'll see why I never pulled the trigger.  Fortunately for me, I was able to get in on a group order.  


In case you're wondering what the heck a group order is, it's pretty much what it sounds like: a bunch of people will get together and place a big order at a shop.  It makes sense because you can split an otherwise prohibitively large shipping cost among a bunch of people so that it's more reasonable.   One person will collect all the monies from everyone, make an order, and then re-bag and ship everything out to all participants when it arrives.  No muss, no fuss (except maybe for the organizer who's mad nice enough to run the whole circus).  This one was run by Angi of Ajevie's Decants.  She seems (now that I'm paying attention) to do group orders from different shops every month or so,  along with her regular awesome decant services.




As for what I actually ordered, I had wanted to try a whipped soap, but unfortunately the scent I picked sold out before Angi could put the orders in.  What I ended up with was two samples of the Body Whip lotion, a bag of Bathing Grains (which I assumed to be a fancier bubble bath type product), and a Conditioning Hair Rinse.  






Body Whip

Thick and rich and creamy and luxurious.  This lotion is Too Much in a Jar.   Unless I've washed my hands to the point that they're painfully dry, it was almost too rich for hot weather.  It will be perfect come the winter when the skin on my legs can get so dry it's painful. It feels drier/less greasy (for lack of a better word) than Kheimistrii's, even though it's just as rich as the Macadamia.  As for absorption, it was on the slower side. It takes a bit of rubbing in, and it's so rich that a little dab'll do ya. 



Now, on to the scents I picked... 


Cold Pillow

A cold cotton pillow filled with Cotswold Lavender buds, scented Geranium leaves &  Indian Vetiver grass sits on top of a feather bed, ready for you to rest your weary head on a shimmering hot summer afternoon.

Cool and refreshing florals: Rose geranium and lavender.  It reminds me of the fancy hand soap your grandmother kept in her powder room, next to the hand towels, neither of which you were allowed to use. The throw is on the strong side, but not obnoxiously so. I find myself using this after I'm done washing my face before bed. 


Indian Temple Attar

Aromatic Mahogany Rose petals dipped in Patchouli & Mysore Sandalwood oil with a layer of rich Vanilla & Labdanum absolute.

This is an earthy rose: Rose blended with sandalwood and patchouli without being too heavy. Much more of a moderate throw than Cold Pillow.  Incense and roses are right up my alley.  Obviously, I need all the Indian Temple Attar things. 



Rook & Raven Bathing Grains



A dark mystifying blend of Sweet Sicilian Orange with a dry down of aged Patchouli, Sandalwood & Blackened Vanilla. 

When I took a sniff of this in the bag, my first thought was foodie incense: I could smell hints of orange, incense, and a little vanilla. Once it hit the water, it's almost all vanilla. I could smell a little orange at first but none of the incense, sadly. I used about a tablespoon and got a nice amount of bubbles.  While the bubbles dissipated rather quickly, it left the water richly perfumed for the entire hour I soaked. The funny part was that once I finally got out of my bath, it left me smelling faintly of incense and vanilla. It also left my skin feeling soft and moisturized. The Bathing Grains are absolutely my favorite part of this order.


Lemonade Lounger Conditioning Hair Rinse

Freshly-plucked Lemons nestled inside a wooden crate, a dainty china cup of Vanilla & May Chang tea, and hints of warm summer soil carried softly on the breeze. 

What I Smell: LEMON.  Tart enough to make your mouth pucker up.   In the bottle, on my hair, it didn't make a difference: all I could smell is sour lemon.  And it was very strong and very long lasting.  So much so, it overpowered the scent of my Supernatural Serum (this time in Last Exit For the Last, because apples).  I forgot to time it exactly, but it lasted the entire time it took me to put my hair up in fat two strand twists and then get dressed.  My normal experience with conditioners is that the scent is gone by the time my hair is dry.  Compare that to the conditioners I normally use - V05 and OGX - who's scent is very faint and is gone by the time I finish towel drying my hair.  

What's It Good At:  This conditioner is on the thinner side, which makes sense as this is billed as a Hair Rinse and not out right called a conditioner.  This product performs better as a cleansing rinse if you cowash like I do, or I imagine it'd be good for someone who doesn't have a problem with dry hair.  I wouldn't recommend this as a detangler: it did an ok job, but I had to use a lot of product to get a sufficient amount of slip going.  I started out with about a quarter sized amount of product because I wanted enough to be able to scrub my scalp as well as coat my hair.  My normal routine is to condition first thing, carry on with my shower, and then comb through and rinse.   Even after 20 minutes with a thermal cap on,  I still had to add more product to my hair in order to get the comb through without my ends snapping.   What it did do well was to leave my hair feeling soft and my scalp so clean it practically tingled.  


All in all, I'm pretty happy with everything I bought.  I will definitely be shopping at Future Primitive again.  After all, I still have to check out their soaps.  And get more Indian Temple Attar. 

~M. 

Check out Future Primitive at their website here. Like everyone else, they're full steam ahead with their Autumn Release, but both Lemonade Lounger and Rock & Raven are General Catalogue scents and available year round.

No comments:

Post a Comment