Sunday, August 16, 2015

sixteen92 Birthday Collection


Y'all already know, I'm a giant sixteen92 stan.  Of course I was gonna be all over the birthday collection.  And bonus, it's cake!  Who doesn't love cake?  Bad people, that's who.  I decided to pick up a sample pack of all five of the offered scents, along with the new Supernatural Hair Serum and Detangling Spray.    







The Afterparty

Chocolate espresso truffle cake with marshmallow filling topped with dark chocolate ganache

In the bottle: Chocolate Ganache

On my skin: Straight out of the bottle it reminds me of my favorite cake, Mississippi Mud Cake.  I get rich coffee soaked chocolate cake and it made me want to get in the kitchen and start baking.  After a few minutes, I can smell the ganache of it all.  



The Masquerade Party

Spiced pumpkin cake filled with toasted pecans and topped with maple buttercream

In the bottle: Starbucks Pumpkin Loaf.

On my skin: Yup. This smells like Pumpkin Spice cake.  I get the barest hint of maple from this, but not any of the pecans.  This one, while not overpowering, has some throw.  I could smell it all around me, and it was wonderful.   



The Pool Party

Fluffy white cake with a pineapple-citrus compote filling sprinkled with toasted coconut

In the bottle: Syrupy pineapple chunks with bits of orange mixed in.

On my skin: Opens with coconut and pineapple.  As it dries, pineapple comes out and steals the spotlight.  I dont get any cake; it's more of a juicy fruit salad pineapple.   After about two hours, I finally get some cake, and it's Pineapple Upside Down Cake.


The Princess Party

Orange petit fours with fluffy whipped vanilla cream filling and a caramelized brown butter glaze covered with pink fondant

In the bottle: Orange syrup.  

On my skin: Birthday cake with orange frosting.  Straight up.  It made me really hungry. 


The Tea Party

Vanilla almond birthday cake topped with Earl Grey buttercream

In the bottle: Almond extract.

On my skin: This reminds me of like a next level Tastykake Krimpet... like a fancy bakeries interpretation.  I don't know why it gives me that impression: krimpets are butterscotch flavored (if I remember right) and this definitely smells like almond cakes.  I sadly don't get any tea, just cakey goodness.  This has a very good throw and it lasted me four hours.




Supernatural Serum and Detangling Hair Mist



I had the brilliant idea to do a wash and go style first, and then take pictures.  I figured that way I wouldn't give myself an excuse to procrastinate about taking pictures and doing some other swatches.  This would have worked great... except for me dropping my brand spanking new bottle of Supernatural Serum the first damn time I used it.  I should be grateful that I only spilled half of it and that the bottle didn't smash and spill all of it.  




NOOOOOOO!!! ;_;


Enough bellyaching.  On to the actual performance.  I love this stuff.  I went back and forth about what scent to order and finally settled on The Beautiful & The Damned for the Serum and Southern Gothic for the Detangling Spray.  I wanted scents that would mesh well with my Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie.  It's my go to for twists, braids, as the C in the L.O.C method, and bringing out the definition in my curls.  That and the jar is humongous; I'll be using it for a long while.


Both the Serum and the Hair Mist smell true to the perfume oils.  While the Hair Mist's scent doesn't linger longer than the time it takes me to put my face on, the Serum's scent is much longer lasting.  For example, before I went to bed last night, I used the serum to moisturize my scalp.  When I woke up this morning, I could still smell it.  

The Hair Mist reminds quite a bit of Black Violet's now discontinued Detangler Mist.  It's light enough to be used as a curl refresher for my fro every day without it weighing my hair down or leaving a noticible residue.  I like to add a little pour of it to rea half full spray bottle of water and use it to rewet my hair mid week if I decide to go from a fro to a twisted protective style.  It's also light enough to use on my sons' curls (which would be great if they didn't complain about smelling like flowers afterwards.)



I wish I woke up like this.
~M


Shop for all this and more at http://sixteen92.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment