Sunday, December 13, 2015

BPAL Liliths and Halloween 2015 Part I

I went a little BPAL crazy this fall, I must admit. It wasn't my fault though. What was I supposed to do with ALL the Liliths AND the Weenies coming out all at once? I must say, I think I exercised quite a bit of restraint. There were at least a half a dozen other scents that I really wanted. The problem is I got so many scent this time that I'm breaking it into two separate posts. Today we're going to do the lone Black Phoenix Trading Post scent I picked up, the Liliths, the Weenies, and the Dead Leaves. 



This time my enabling was brought to you by Brittany of Deeks Decants. This was my first decant circle with her, and I've already gotten in on two more. She's easy to work with, answers any questions you have quickly, and I really like her labels. Along with the name of the scent and it's notes, the back features a mini picture of the label art. 



This one is Magnificent Autumn.






Fatherhood

First up, the Lilith and the Fatherhood collection.  What are those?  Every year in honor of their daughter's birthday The Lab and the Trading Post release a collection of scents inspired by their daughter.  Which is the most adorable thing I'd heard.  The full descriptions are very d'awww worthy too.  It was really hard to choose, but I opted for the following four: Once Upon A Time, Ghost Revelry, Walking the Prime Meridian, & Little Lady MacBeth.


Once Upon A Time

Our bedtime scent: French lavender, hops, yarrow, Roman chamomile, and a drop of vanilla.

In the bottle: Sleepytime Tea 

On my skin: This smells like Rest & Relaxation In A Bottle: chamomile, a little lavendar, and I think yarrow too. I can't stop sniffing my wrist. I wasn't even that stressed out today, but I'm feeling a lot calmer since I put this on. I'm going to need a full size of this. I got about two hours out of this one.


Liliths


Ghost Revelry

A spectral shindig: damp mosses, fallen leaves, and soft woods swirled with an ethereal mist of white sandalwood, lilac, orris root, and moonflower.


In the bottle: Green

On my skin: I threw this on before running out the door and I can't for the life of me remember what was in it. I can't decide if the earthy/woody note I'm smelling is patchouli or not. Whatever it is, it reminds me a lot of The Caterpillar without the incense note. I think I also smell vanilla or one of it's cousins like benzoin or tonka. ....Now that I'm home and looking at the notes, of course it was leaves that I was smelling. I think the leaves together with the mossy and wood notes are what made me think of patchouli.  Unfortunately, even though I tested it twice to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I barely got an hour and a half out of this one. I'll most likely end up destashing it.


Little Lady MacBeth

sugared red currant and honey cake.

In the bottle: First I thought sweet cakes, then I thought pancakes drowning in honey.

On my skin: not very sweet cakes covered in honey. I think they might be cornbread/cakes/what have you. I'm not sure I've ever had currants so I can't say that I know what they smell like. I think there's a faint slightly bitter berry hanging out in the background. I was surprised by how long lasting this one was. I got almost four and a half hours out of it. 


Walking the Prime Meridian

This is the scent of the Royal Observatory at Greenwich on a cold, stormy day in March: ancient oaks and deep green mosses dampened by rain and sea salt.

In the bottle: Soap

On my skin: This smells like a type of bodywash I buy my husband. You know, the kind that screams things like CLEAN! and FRESH! and OCEAN BREEZE! on the bottle. It's not necessarily a bad thing. It's better than the stuff named after sharp weapons favored by Dwarves, that's for sure. The bad part is that it's soapy and for once it's a masculine scent that's too masculine for me. I'd give it to him, but he's incapable of doing anything but bathing in perfume oil. It'd be gone after the second time he wore it. Then he'd come and hug me and I'd smell like it forever.  THEN I complain that now I smell like a French Gigolo and he sprays me with his Axe deodorant shit like he's marking his territory and cackles, but when I leave lipstick prints on his bald spot, I'm the bad guy.  


Weenies

And here we have the yearly Halloween collection.  It's a mix of new Limited Edition scents and the return of old favorites.  

Magnificent Autumn

A scent that wanders through the Ages of Autumn, from the last green leaf to the first breath of winter.

In the bottle: Trees. It smells like a tree.

On my skin: Yeah. It's very green and very white wood. It's like being in a stand of trees with the odd pine in it, or it's like that smell on a tree where a branch has been recently pruned off. This has a really strong throw without it being nauseating or obnoxious. 

After about ten minutes, it starts to morph: the green is definitely fading and the trees are beginning to smell drier. The pines are still there, but they're browning out along with the rest of the forest. 

At around the thirty minute mark it smells like dried leaves, but it's lighter and not as much rot as Ghost Revelry's dried leaf note. Also the throw's faded down from what I consider very good to moderate. Total time about an hour till it faded to skin scent and then lingered for another thirty minutes. I'm really disappointed it was so fleeting and that I didn't get the full experience.


The Unquiet Grave

Frozen white roses, frankincense, white gardenia, white sandalwood, and vanilla orchid

In the bottle: Alcohol heavy florals

On my skin: The thing I thought was alcohol in the bottle is weird. Now that I'm wearing it, it's more piney or balsam like. It reminds me of something I've smelled before, maybe a sample of something at Ulta or Sephora, but gods only know what. It reads to me as clean and just a hair soapy, but not a bad soapy like Walking the Prime Meridian. It also has that nose burning "cold" note to it that could be mint. After it a minute or so, it warms up and I think I'm smelling wood. This is such a weird scent. I am staring at the notes and I still couldn't tell you what's in this scent. It says there's flowers but I don't smell flowers. There is a light almost spice thing going on that might be the vanilla orchid. Once it's fully dry, a good twenty minutes or so later, the soap is gone and I finally smell some floral: a very pale gardenia. I got three and a half hours of wear out of this scent.  I still think it's weird but I like it.


Pile of Leaves 


Dead Leaves, Frankincense, and Copal

In the bottle: Dried leaves. 

On my skin: Dry leaves. When it dries, it gets a little resin underneath. I have no idea if it's copal or frankincense or copal AND frankincense. I just know that I like it. There's not as much rot to this one as there is in Ghost Revelry; this one is more straight up leaves. This has excellent throw and gave me a good three hours of wear.



This was a pretty good haul over all.  I think the biggest surprise is finding something that was actually too masculine for me.  I didn't think that was a thing that could happen. 

~M.

Coming soon: Part II, featuring the Pickman Gallery scents!  You can still buy these over at BPAL's website.  The Liliths you can find here, and the Weenies will be available here until December 28th.








No comments:

Post a Comment