Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Smelly Yeti Perfumery

TRIGGER WARNING:  Extreme amounts of Buffy fangirling, excessive gif-age, (crack) shipping, and crushes on fictional characters.



Normally I don't fall for a collection just because it's based on/inspired by/whatevered from a Thing That I Love.  But then Smelly Yeti came out with a collection of Buffy themed perfumes and I was like "Yes please."  In my defense, everyone on IMAM was like "Ooh Smelly Yeti is awesome.  You need it.  You're a giant sucker, Mel.  Do it.  BUY IT."   So I rolled for save vs impulse buy and got a 1.  (I'm also a bit of a D&D nerd.  I'm sure this is info you needed).  Also, Buffy perfumes are much easier to justify than an eyeshadow collection, because I don't have quite so many.  Yet.




Buffybot: 

With slightly singed wire, motor oil, ozone, and a smooth metallic finish, this perfume calls to mind warm electronics.

In the jar: medicinal. Reminds me of a horrible cough syrup. 

On my skin: When it goes on, I smell a scent that's plastic-y, a bit ozone-ish and with something a bit spicy that I know I use a lot when I'm cooking, but I can't put my finger on it. After it dries for a little while, it smells like those Danish butter cookies and electronics. Actually, I took my son on the Metro to the Air and Space Museum, and being down on the platform while we waited on our train reminded me a lot of this scent. Yes I know how strange that sounds.  Even stranger:  I really like it.  Unfortunately, it's very fleeting on me.  I only got about an hour of wear time. 

I should have got Capitalist so I could layer them together.  Because I totally ship Anya/Buffybot.



Look at how happy Anya looks in that last frame and tell me you're not shipping them now too.



Captain Peroxide:

Spike. Dirty leather coat, smoky tobacco, bleached hair, with a soft spot for a certain slayer. He may act tough, but at the heart of it all he's a marshmallow. Red Egyptian musk gives it a smooth finish and a distinctive bloody coloring.



Spike is totally flawless


In the jar: Buttery leather and vanilla


On my skin: The leather/vanilla lasts for a second and then a smokey scent starts to emerge. I can't decide if it's wood or musk. Mmm. Whatever it is, it's dead fucking sexy. This smells like the sort of man I would climb like a tree.






Cub Scout: (freebie) 



Vanilla. Straight up vanilla.

In the jar: Vanilla. Riley sucks. 

On my skin


I made this myself. 


Still vanilla. Riley still sucks. Ok look. It's not like I'm irrationally prejudiced against Riley. It's just Riley is boring and was so clearly the rebound guy with his stupid floppy hair and his Awe Shucks, Ma'am demeanor. It's like he was Captain America except Cap is really funny, secretly a troll, and hot like the sun; whereas Riley is boring inside and out and wasting time from me sailing on the Good Ship Bangel 4EVER or boarding the 8:10 to Spuffy (which I don't ship as hard because Spike/Dru is my Spike OTP, but I can see the appeal). Aaaand this turned into a rant on All My Ships and Why Riley Is The Worst. God. I hated that whole season. It's the only one (with the exception of Hush and the body swap two parter) that I've watched only once through. Anyway. Yeah. This smells like straight Vanilla.



Jeeves:


I wasn't planning on putting pics for every scent.  It just sort of happened.  


A cup of tea, the dusty smell of leatherclad demonology books, a woody medieval weapons cabinet, and the unmistakable smell of LEARNING. 

In the jar: This one is hard.  I think it smells kind of sweet and like a raw wood plank.

On my skin: smells sweet for a second, then it turns dusty. Finally it settles on slightly musty leather and wood, with a hint of tobacco. It actually reminds me of my husband's office. He tries to sneak an occasional cigarette in there (especially when it's too cold to go outside), and thinks that I can't tell.

"Bear.  Go smoke outside." 

"...I'm not smoking in here." 

"Yeah? That's why it smells like smoke." 

"...You're imagining things." 

"I AM NOT!"

*starts signing It Wasn't Me*

"I HATE YOU AND THAT SONG SO MUCH!"

*evil cackles*

Ours is a special love.  Which is why I wear this when I miss him.  But don't tell him that.



Psycho:

In case you were wondering where the name for this scent came from.....


Wild black cherry, dirty leather, black musk, and a wisp of tobacco smoke. 

In the jar: Very cherry.

On my skin: very smokey wood with a hint of cherry maybe underneath. Kind of like being in a smokey dive bar. They duke out as it dries until it's all cherry, but a sharp sort of cherry. Almost like a cough syrup, but not in a bad way. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, but I can't think of a better way to describe it. 


Queen of the Damned:



Eyeballs to entrails, my sweet.


Among the more traditional bouquet of roses is a mélange of darker, cooler notes of cabbage, cedarwood, tuberose moss, dewy grass, and damp earth. The overall effect is one of flowers in a graveyard.

In the jar: Cabbage?  And something awful and medicinal

On my skin: Damp & musty earth with cabbage and flowers.  It's off putting yet enticing.  Very much like Dru.  Seriously.  Drusilla is my favorite.  If I met her in a dark alley, I'd beg her to turn me.  She'd probably rip my intenstines out and turn them into a necklace.  I'd still die happy.  Probably.  Probably not.  Shut up.  You have your fetishes and I have mine.

After 5 minutes I'm starting to catch a floral note.  And it's still a strange floral.

30 minutes in and it's almost pure old fashioned rose.  I might be imagining it, but there's a faint cloying note underneath. 

Final thoughts: This one is definitely a winner.  I love it. 


Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster:

a striking citrus mint cocktail with a powerful sparkling punch.


In the jar: Smells like a fizzy lemon lime soda

On my skin: Definitely a fizzy citrusy soda. Not sprite or 7up. Something small craft like a Reeds Ginger Ale with a lot of lemon on top. Dries down to reveal an earthy underpining. Maybe a wood or oakmoss?  This was another short lived one on me; I got a little less than 2 hours out of it.  I picked this one up on a whim in a swap, and I'm glad I did.  This is going to be an awesome summertime scent.


To sum up, I have a possibly unhealthy obsession with Buffy.  All of these (except for Pan Galactic and Psycho) had a weird/gross smell in the bottle and then smelled lovely on my skin.  ....And it occurs to me that it would probably be useful to stop fangirling so hard and talk about my shopping experience.  After purchasing, my order shipped in three days.  I believe her TAT at the time was seven days.  When it arrived it came packed in a cute ring sized box, with a tiny toy dinosaur guard, and as I said above, I recieved an extra free sample.  I will most definitely be purchasing from Smelly Yeti when she reopens.  


~M

p.s.  Riley is the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment