Friday, May 29, 2015

sixteen92 Spring Collection

*Picks up blog and blows the dust off of it*

Hey everyone.  I apologize for the lack of updates.  It's not that I haven't had things to post about (I sort of went crazy and Bought All The Things for my birthday back in March).  I've been scarce around these parts because my laptop died.  I've been using the Old Man's, which worked fine for us... until he got crazy busy with work.  Things have slowed down a bit, so fingers crossed that he won't be pulling anymore Gone At Dawn & Home Around 10pm shifts for awhile.  


Now that that's out of the way, on to the good stuff!  



That's these guys.

If you've been following along, then y'all should know by now I'm a huge sixteen92 fan.  They're my first and favorite indie perfumery.  With like maybe 2 exceptions, I've loved every scent I've tried from them.  The Spring Release continues the tradition of blowing me away.




THE GRASS HARP


Orange blossom, clover, hyacinth, ruby red grapefruit, sweet basil


In the bottle:  Green and sweet.


On My Skin: I smell mostly clover and flowers.  I don't get any of the grapefruit. This smells like summer.  This smells like being thrown out of the house to go play with your friends until the street lights come on and then spending the day running barefoot through backyards shot through with clover until you were tired (or the Ice Cream Man showed up).   




THE HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER


Tuberose absolute, soft skin musk, oakmoss, fresh earth, vanilla, iris


In the bottle: No idea, but it's not bad...


On My Skin: Oooh.  This is sexy and musky with a little floral underneath.  I think what I'm getting in the beginning is the tuberose; as it dries it gets more iris-y.  Which is witchcraft (but the good kind).  Most scents start floral and then fade down to musk. I like this.  This is something subtle enough to wear every day.


THE ORCHARD KEEPER


Night blooming jasmine, peach, apricot, pink pepper, sandalwood



In the bottle: It took me a second to nail down what it reminded me of: a grove of peaches.


On my skin: Definitely a peach grove, maybe with a nicely blooming hedge surronding it. Actually what it smells like is a Pick Your Own Farm during Peach season. I like fresh fruit and I like things that will tire my kids out; which is why I love pick your own farms. They get fresh air and sunshine and Son #1 at least is more apt to eat his fruits and veggies if he picks them himself.  Son #2 just runs around until he finds a puddle to splash in.  He's happy, I'm happy, and I get at least a half bushel of cheap peaches.  Score.


TL;DR This smells like a grove of peach trees on a hot day.


THE SOUND & THE FURY


Southern sweet tea, Carolina jessamine, balsam, fern, warm skin musk, loam



In the bottle: It smells like someone's trying to hide the fact that this is Nasty Medicine by putting a little orange flavoring in it.  Which never works.  

On my skin: There's a sharp camphor/medicine smell that quickly fades (thank all gods), and then I get orange and some sort of musky floral (jasmine? Tuberose?).  As always, the orange is typically short lived, leaving that soft musky floral with not a lot of throw.  This is another nice everyday wear one. 


WISE BLOOD


Champaca absolute, tuberose, white pepper, Orris root, guaiacwood, cardamom


In the bottle:  Astringent (but not badly so), woody and a little murky.  

On my skin:  It smells kind of earthy with a little bit of the pepper initially and just a little hint of the champaca.  I'm guessing the earthy note I smell is the tuberose.  As it dries, the wood strengthens and the cardamom comes out and takes over.  For the finish the wood comes out, but it's still cardamom's show.  This is definitely the  most unisex of the bunch.  It also clings pretty close to the skin.  





SUPERCELL


I thought about whether or not to go ahead and review this since it is super late.  Supercell was sixteen92's first limited edition release.  It's not available for sale anymore, but I've seen it listed for swaps (and go super fast), so I figured I'd put it up here.  Also there's the fact that it's amazing.   So.........


Supercell is a conceptual, atmospheric fragrance that bottles the essence of a Spring thunderstorm. The first cracks of ozonic lightning in the distance, rolling humid air, sharp green grass under heavy grey skies, the smell of rain on hot asphalt, crushed green stems, windblown hay, soaked earth and ancient branches snapped open by the forces of nature.



Electric ozone, sharp green grasses, asphalt, petrichor, windblown hay, damp florals, crushed stems, soaked earth, cracked branches


This is witchcraft.  Seriously.  It smells like a rainstorm.  Not just the rain part, but the whole thing.  It opens and smells like freshly cut grass.  The grass starts to fade almost immediately into that wet heavy feeling in the air that lets you know a storm is coming.  It evolves into hot thunderstorm, the kind that comes in the summer and doesn't do a thing to bring the temperature down: It's hot and wet and you can smell the wet grass and damp earth through the windows you've opened hoping to catch some of that breeze.  Then there's a period where it's almost purely ozone and just a little wet.  It gives the feeling of being in the heart of the storm where the rain comes pelting down and you start to worry about your power going out because your local electric company is totally worthless at doing anything but jacking your rates up (or maybe that's just mine).  It ends with the scent of breezes and petrichor.  


This is perfection.  Well almost perfection.  The only con to Supercell is that it's very short lived.  It last barely two hours on me.  I've had success extending it a little by layering it over a solid of Darling Clandestine's Gram Negative.  By extend, I get maybe another half hour.  It also transforms it into more of a cooler spring rain.   


tl;dr Claire is a wizard and my sixteen92 Stan-ery is totaly justified.  Stan-ery is totaly a word, even if I just made it up.  Even though the Summer Collection is out now, you can still buy  the Sound & the Fury and the Orchard Keeper straight form the source at sixteen92.com , or you can still find the spring scents as well as some of the Winter Collection and the Hot Chocolate Bar over at The SoapBox Co (where it is also on sale right now.)


~M.

No comments:

Post a Comment