Monday, March 16, 2015

Kheimistrii

Kheimistrii is a newish bath and body shop on Etsy.  It'd been on my radar for a little while, but I finally decided to take the plunge during her big New Year's sale.  It's a good thing I waited for the sale because I ended up hauling quite a bit.  I settled on a bar of the Ginger Glace Handmade soap and 2 oz samples of the Whip'd Body Wash in Sleepy Hollow, the Macademia Body Souffle in Dreamcatcher, the Sugar Exfoliant in Cimmerian, and the Body Butter Cream and Bubbling Scrub in Ultra Violet.  I also received a free sample of perfume oil in Kyoto.  


All my goodies, fresh out the box


Kheimistrii shipped lightening fast.  After several days worth of dithering over sizes and types of lotion, I placed my order on January 10th, and it showed up on my doorstep on the 15th.  The shipping costs were pretty reasonable too: she uses USPS Flat rate packaging.  Orders that fit into a padded envelope or small box are $5.95 and medium is $10.  



Ginger Glace Soap:


Nice firm bar, good lather, cleans without stripping me dry, light fleeting scent that doesn't interfere with layering.  


Dem bubbles


The scent is all ginger: it's light and clean and yet not a dessert sweet type of ginger.




Sleepy Hollow Whip'd Body Wash:


The soap: UNFF.  This is the business.  It washes clean without stripping my skin dry.  It lathers up soft and thick.  So thick in fact that I've had great success using it to shave with too.  A little goes a long way.  I've been using this every day since the end of January and I'm just barely used about half of the jar.


The scent:


aged leather, olibanum, citrus fusion, papaya fruit, oakmoss, juniper berry, black pepper, damp earth.

I don't really have a lot of notes on the scent.  It's hard for me to get a read on underneath the soapiness of it all.  It feels like a slightly masculine earthy scent.  It doesn't last longer than the time it takes me to dry off.  Which makes it another great one for layering other scents on top of.
Dreamcatcher Macademia Body Souffle: 


The lotion: This is nice, very creamy and so moisturizing.  It stands up to my dry winter skin like a champ.  How dry do I get?



After using this, I'm left with lovely feeling skin that doesn't itch so bad I'd like to scrape it off.  It also smells really good.  Which brings us to...

The Scent: 

Smoky woods, tobacco leaf, vanilla honey, leather, oakmoss and myrrh

Dreamcatcher is like a masculine sweet, if that makes sense.  It's honey but hiding underneath there's a bit of wood and leather.  It's not so manly that a lady wouldn't like it and not so lady like that a man can't wear it.  I probably could have saved myself some typing and just said that it's Unisex.



Ultra Violet Body Butter Cream:

The lotion: I honestly don't know which formulation I prefer.  I think this is slightly more moisturizing, but maybe I'm imagining it.  Like the Souffle, the Butter Cream is thick, creamy and oh so moisturizing.  A little bit goes a long way and works magic on my poor dry hands.  I reach for this one the most out of everything mostly because of...


The Scent:

Violets, sandalwood, white musk


I LOVE the way this smells.  I've been searching for just this sort of  violet for ages.  It doesn't go powdery, and it's well blended with the sandalwood and the musk to give a scent that's lightly feminine and fit any occasion.  If this came in perfume oil, It'd be my signature scent.


Until the next thing I fall in love with.  Mine is a fickle heart.  




Ultra Violet Bubbling Scrub:


The Scrub:  This is my first experience with a bubbling scrub and it's interesting.  If you've never tried one, it's sort of a cross between a whipped soap and a scrub (this one is sugar based) that is meant to clean and polish away rough dry skin.  And it does.  It leaves my skin feeling nice and soft.  Even my alligator hide feet.  Which only get that way when I'm lazy about moisturizing.  Which is all the time.  Because I'm lazy.  I'm still trying to figure out how to use it.  I feel like I over use it when I just use it with my fingers, and that I don't get a lot of the sugar-polishing if I use my trusty bath puff.  Maybe I'm just used to having my skin sanded off by my usual Apricot polish.  The bubbling scrub is much more gentle, but it still does a great job of softening my skin.


The scent is almost identical to the butter cream, except slightly soapy.  Which makes sense because it is soap.




Kyoto: 

In the bottle: It reminds me of Bath & Body Works Cucumber Melon.


On my skin:  This goes on smelling like soapy grapefruit and a crisp green apple/pear hybrid.  I really wanted to like this, but unfortunately, the soapiness never really goes away.



Cimmerian:


This one was a gift for my mother.  I personally didn't smell it, but she likes all those notes, so I had high hopes.  Her review of it was:


"OMG (she actually says that out loud.  Unironically.)  MELISSA.  That stuff you got me is soooo good.  Where'd you get it from and how much was it?  I need a bigger jar."


I think she likes it. Last time I talked to her, she was stalking Kheimistrii's facebook page.



TL;DR I will be definitely shopping here again.  The Whip'd Body Wash is my new favorite shower soap.  I'd love to try it in different scents and I really would like to try Cimmerian.  I'd borrow some of my mom's but I feel like I'd have to pry it from her cold dead hands. 

~M. 


You can find all these fabulous products and more at Kheimistrii's Etsy store front.


No comments:

Post a Comment