Thursday, May 26, 2016

Haus of Gloi Birthday

Recently, Haus of Gloi celebrated their seventh birthday. To mark the occasion, they came out with a collection of scents that all have Haus Amber as their base. For whatever reason, I'd never gotten around to trying Haus Amber, but I'd heard good things about it. I hadn't made an HoG order in awhile and I decided to treat myself to one of the 7 Birthday Ambers, a sample of Haus Amber to compare it too, and while I was at it, I picked up the only thing I was interested in from the Spring release, A Place In Space.






Haus Birthday

Wild Cascadian huckleberries, butter cream frosting, clove spiced cake and wisps of incense all grounded into a base of our Haus Amber.

In the bottle: rich blueberry

On my skin: Blueberry with a light bit of incense smoking through. It's a nice balanced blueberry: not syrupy sweet but not too tart that blends nicely with the incense without turning into a hippie abomination. Light throw. Fades down to a resinous base after about an hour. At two hours its a sweet skin scent that lingered for another half hour.



Haus Amber

Rich and sultry amber, our own hand blended accord.

In the bottle: Mm sexy

On my skin: A sexy and deep beautiful amber scent. It feels like being wrapped up in a warm blanket that was stored in a chest with incencse. Mama like. Mama especially like how this lasted for just under five hours.



Amber & Rose


Russian apothecary rose absolute, tonka and madagascar rose geranium.

In the bottle: Rose Geranium and regular Rose

On my skin: An earthy, almost musty rose. The rose geranium came on much stronger in the bottle. Now that its on, it adds depth and sweetness to what feels like a Tea Rose. Once it dried, it was the soft, slightly powdery resinous scent that I get from HoG's amber note with just a hint of the rose to it. After about an hour and a half, the rose is gone leaving that lovely warm amber scent. This perfume has a surprisingly light throw. I expected it to be much more in your face, but it's a very shy rose. It stuck close to my skin, but it was still detectable when I thought about it. I would definitely wear this one to work, especially since I got close to six hours of wear time.



A Place in Space


A silvery lavender, nag champa, dry amber incense and faded patchouli.

In the bottle: Lavender... and something soft and earthy

On my skin: Lavender with this lovely resinous note underneath it. On the dry down it feels more and more like a soft lavender incense. Mmm. This smells the way Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb makes me feel. Moderate bordering on strong throw. I got three hours out of it before it faded down to a skin scent and lingered for another thirty to forty minutes.



Butterbombs

The only one of these I haven't used so far is Sugar Cookie. I have sniffed it dreamily, while forgetting that I'm supposed to be Doing Stuff. Amber & Honey's the only butterbomb I have notes for. I think they're pretty self explanatory though.


Amber & Honey


A blend of three ambers and two types of honey.

This was a lovely sweet resin with a hint of a soft powder. It clung to my skin for around three hours after my bath. Bear liked this a lot. I gave him hug after I got out the tub and got this:

Bear: You smell good for once.

Me: What the fuck does that mean?!?

Bear: You smell really nice for once. I like this one.

Me: almost erupts in fury, then thinks about it ....OH. You mean you actually like this one and you aren't just saying it's nice so I'll go away?

Bear: Yeah. You should wear that one all the time.

Me: Yeah sorry, it's a bath bomb and they're sold out.

Bear: Of course it is. sighs and shuffles off in search of coffee.

In case you were wondering, there's a reason why I rarely post his impressions of my perfumes. It's not that I never get his opinion. It's that nine times out of ten, his opinion is either "That's nice" which is code for "I don't care for it but if it makes you happy, great." or "No that's terrible" if it has even a molecule of patchouli in it. He hates patchouli, and I don't know how, but he can always tell it's there.



Holy Incense

This one smells like a more low key, less heavy version of Three Treasures, but without the brightness of the mandarin and the gold. It's also another one where the scent lingers on my skin for hours after.



Sugar Cookie

Exactly what it says on the tin. Smells like sugar cookies and makes me hungry.



Three Treasures Whipped Soap

While I was at it, I figured I ought to pick up some more soap since I was almost out. And then I saw all things Three Treasures, which is one of my favorite incense scents, was over in the Sale section and I was sold.  






The soap itself is a bit dense; it has the consistency of frosting. And it comes with fun sprinkles as you can see. It lathers up really well. A small fingertip sized scoop will give you enough lather to wash your whole body. The lather itself is fluffy with nice sized bubbles. It cleans really well without leaving my skin feeling stripped dry. As for the scent, at least with Tree Treasures, it lingers. Days that I use this I usually skip wearing another perfume because the scent sticks so well to my skin and has a moderate level of throw. I am very impressed and now want to try ALL the whipped soaps, for Science!






Overall, I'm really pleased with all of these selections. I could wish that Haus Birthday lasted a little longer, but two and a half hours is decent longevity on me. I bet it's awesome as a Hair Oil. I definitely wish I'd gotten a full size of Haus Amber and another of the 7 Birthday Ambers. I'm tempted to go back and get Amber & Incense and/or Amber & Neroli. I'm on a no buy right now so I'm trying to be good.


~M.

It looks like the Birthday bath and body stuff is gone, but perfume oils are still available, and so are most of the 7 Birthday Ambers. You can find them in the Reverie section.




No comments:

Post a Comment