Thursday, December 25, 2014

Black Violet Winter Collection

I feel like I've been buried under an avalanche of Christmas cheer.   Which I have noone but myself and my brilliant idea to Crochet All The Gifts! this year.   The worst part is I'm not even done.


Me, for the past 2 weeks.

Seeing how it's actually Christmas, I won't see the rest of the people I have gifts for till next month, and I got another Black Violet order last night, I thought I'd take a rest and get back to the fun stuff: Talking about my precious precious indies. This batch I ordered when Black Violet opened back up the week of Black Friday.  I was going to wait for the sale because I wanted the Glamour Doll Eyes GWP.  Then Momotaro sold out of the Wildflower section and I panicked.  What I did manage to score was full sizes of Snow White Tea and Marrakesh, and samples of all 4 of her winter release scents, as well as a mini of Bavarian Apfel Cider from the fall stuff.  My free samples were a Komorebi Body Butter sample and a GDE shadow.



Leopard Print's my favorite color.


Bavarian Apfel Cider


Your stein froths over with golden apple cider alongside a slice of red currant torte, topped with slivers of almonds


In the Bottle: Yup.  This is apple cider

On my skin: This smells like Woodchuck Granny Smith Cider.  In the beginning it's straight up green apple.  As it dries, it becomes more cidery smelling.  After a good half hour I start smelling cinnamon and maybe nutmeg too.  This has a really good range; It's got reach without being overpowering.  Sadly, along with every other apple note I've tried, this didn't last long on me.  I think I got maybe two hours out of this.  Actually, for an apple scent, that's pretty good.  Most apple notes last barely an hour at most on me.  



Cacao Bean


...steamed cream, curls of Alpine chocolate over vanilla bean infused hot cocoa.


In the Bottle: Dark chocolate


On my skin: This is making my mouth water.  I get rich dark chocolate.  I can't decide if it's more chocolate cake or hot chocolate.  I'm having a hard time not licking my wrist.  This has really good throw, too.  Everywhere I went, I had my own little chocolate scented aura of awesomeness.



Oscuro


A mysterious blend of agarwood (oudh), amber, dried tobacco leaves, white musk, a hint of patchouli, ebony


In the Bottle: I'm not sure what I'm smelling, just that it smells male


On my skin: Mm yes, male.  I smell musk and a little leather under it  There's something else that is teasing me, but I can't make out what it's supposed to be.   About ten minutes in, something strange happens; It starts smelling strongly of cat.  I think it might be either the Oudh or the Ebony reacting weirdly with my skin. But it's definitely cat and mothballs.  It actually reminds me of my mother's parents' house, who would have been on Hoarders if it had existed 20 years ago.  Except they had dogs.  Whatever.  This is a weird scent that gave me a weird trip down memory lane.  For all of 35 minutes.  After that it got so strong it made me queasy, and I had wash it off. :(



Yule Nog


Fluffy white bites of marshmallow goodness immersed in eggnog & buttercream


In the bottle:  Very sweet


On my skin:  This smells like frosting, buttercream I'd say.   I stuck my nose in a jar of leftover cream cheese frosting and it's very close.  Whichever kind of frosting it is, it smells sweet, sugary, and delicious and has a subtle presence.  It's not in your face, but more in the background of your awareness.



Komorebi Body Butter


Absinthe, rosewood, amber musk, carnation, fallen leaves.


We already know that I'm in love with the body butter formula, so we'll just jump right to the how it smells.  

Mmmmm delicious.  Except in a not for eating way.  It smells like a cedar chest full of the sorts of spices you'd find at the sorts of places that I Saw Goody Proctor With the Devil smells like.


Valley of the Temples Solid Perfume


This one was an experiment.  I bought and really liked Valley of the Temple in perfume oil form with my initial Black Violet purchase.  The only problem I had with it is that I burned through it pretty quickly.  To be fair, I burn through everything pretty quickly.  For example, I went to Ulta yesterday, and sprayed on some Chanel No5, just to see if I liked it (I did); four hours later, I couldn't smell any trace of it on my wrist at all.  TL;DR I know it's a my chemistry problem and not an indie perfume problem.  


When I saw that Leilani had a solid version of a scent that I owned, I thought I'd try to layer them and see if it would extend the wear time at all.  Sadly, it did not.  Wearing the oil by itself gets me around 2 hours and 15 minutes.  I gave the balm about ten minutes to soak in before layering the oil over it.  I still got 2 hours and 15 minutes of wear time.  


One difference that I did notice is that the scent is a bit more subtle in solid form than it is as an oil.  



Glamour Dolls Eyes Chivalrous


Matte red with orange sheen



over DG Glitter Glue in artificial light because it will not stop raining here.

I was not expecting this at all.  I've never tried GDE before, so this was exciting to get.  I have yet to wear it, but from swatching it, I'm totally in love.  It's this beautiful rust colored shade with a subtle shimmer that I unfortunately couldn't capture with my phone's camera.  I did find it to be very true to the swatch on GDE's website. I can see this as an everyday shade with something like Shiro's Badger or Blackbird's Atlas or maybe Ruca.  



So yes, we already established that I've got another Black Violet order in already.  I maintain it's not my fault.  Someone made a thread saying there were discontinued scents in stock in the Wildflowers section, and lo and behold there was Momotaro!  And a few other things fell in my cart too.  Here's hoping that when she opens back up in the New Year, Komorebi comes back.  I also now need to make a Glamour Doll Eyes order because I'm gonna a need a full size of Chivalrous.  And all the other things.  My poor wallet.


~M


Glamour Doll Eyes can be found here or at Store Envy.  Black Violet is closed for the moment, but when she come back in January, you can find her here.




No comments:

Post a Comment